Friday, July 30, 2010
- sweetie pie pumpkin noodle visits some of THE most fabulous boutiques and shops in Mill Valley and takes us along for the ride. She also hunts down amazing chandeliers along her way. Don't miss this goodness!
- merci blah blah rounds up tons of gorgeous drape-style dresses from all over the interwebs. And not just once... but twice. Um, I'll take one of each!
- good life for less gives us the highlights of her recent trip to Forever 21... these shoes were definitely a great find!
- a spot of whimsy forks over a delicious dose of Mad Men style and photos. I swoon, just swoon for that show!
- penguins gift is giving away a Stella & Dot bracelet for the little ladies in your life. So cute!
- style your life puts together a casual outfit featuring an unexpected item - a pencil skirt. I just love this look - so chic!
- spry on the wall gives us a practical and affordable version of this amazing outfit from Isaac Mizrahi's Spring 2010 line.
- the hillside home just bought a new house and is planning, planning, planning. SO FUN! Join her as they start picking out colors, finishes, etc. I just love the adventure of a new house!
- john's journal outlines a simple but fantastic looking diy roman shade project. You will absolutely want to try this. It turned out amazing!
- elena's custom designs makes a custom pillow out of a scarf/handkerchief. I just LOVE this idea!
- really cute stuff is featuring their "family style" notecards... a great gift for friends or teachers or just to have for yourself for thank you notes or notes to teachers. I love these ideas!
- good look for less is offering wardrobe consults at half price through the end of today... hurry and snag yours before they go back to full price for fall!
Thursday, July 29, 2010
to bring you this French Connection dress, courtesy of Dilly Dallas.
That is all.
No, I'm not talkin bout curtain panels, Willis, I'm talkin bout dresses that sport a caftan silhouette. As a wise man once said, I can't get enough of your love, babe.
From Style By Kling
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
I have come across several drapey confections in the past few days, and the more I see, the more I love them. Pretty sure this Vionnet dress that Jessica Biel is ROCKING (in my humble opinion) is one of those dresses people will either love or hate. I am in the love camp. Much like Christina Ricci, she just keeps getting better on the red carpet. Props to her and her stylist.
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
for listening to my original suggestion of this guy to play the title role of the American version of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo:
As soon as I started reading the book, he was the ONLY guy I pictured in the role of Mikael Blomqvist. Yippeeee!!! Will be interesting to see who they end up casting in the role of Lisbeth Salander. My opinion? Cast an unknown, or get Noomi Rapace, who played the role in the Swedish version of the film.
Oh, one more suggestion? DON'T EFF UP THE MOVIE, HOLLYWOOD - the Swedish version ROCKED.
Other than the shoes that will likely be walking the plank in favor of the comfortable wedges I brought "just in case", this outfit feels like I'm wearing PJ's.
Speaking of jammies, I really miss my old private office with the door. It was much more conducive to taking under the desk, aka George Costanza, naps at lunch.
I digress to impress.
The most comfortable shirt ever: The Maxx
Black satin cargo pants you can't see: H&M
Stripedy Stripe Stripe shoes: A few seasons ago. Read: I have no idea.
Big fat Versace-looking Napier vintage necklace: Jewish resale shop $6...holla
Other assorted jewries
Hair that is getting did tonight.....busted looking today
So, yes, perhaps a bit of a Yawny Kitaen, boring outfit but comfortable. Did I mention that?
Here I go again on my own.
Annnnnnnnd, now you will sing Whitesnake all day. You're welcome.
Honestly - WHO THROWS A SHOE???!!! (one of my favorite random lines from Austin Powers that no one ever gets but I think is funny and giggle to myself each time I say it, but I digress...) What I meant to say was, Honestly - YOU ARE WASTING AWAY BEFORE OUR VERY EYES!!! Fo realz, Skinny Minnie! That outfit is The Cutes, and your necklathe? Need. GIMME. Do not make me punch you in the stomach, steal it and run away. I will do it in a heartbeat.
I can't tell if that's the same shirt I wore yesterday or not - does yours have an elasticky band around the waist? No matter- you look goooooood. And your hurr busted? I DOUBT THAT, jerk.
Labels: women's wear daily
Entry number 2 - DAWN!
Delta Dawn...what's the flower you have on...
This is the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius, Age of Aquaaa-reeee-ussssss.....
Oh say can you seeeeeeeee by the Dawn's early liiiiiiiiiiiiiight...
Congrats Dawn, you are the winner of a BRAND NEW CHRYSLER CORDOVA! Okay, not really - but you ARE the winner of all the stuff that we said in our "Yay - We FINALLY Hit 100 Followers" giveaway. Drop us a line at merciblahblah at gmail.com, and we'll work out the deets.
In honor of Dawn, I give you the original Brit-Brit, Miss Tanya Tucker:
I know, I know - I shouldn't do this because I'm always annoyed by those tabloid mags that perpetuate the feud between Aniston and Angelina, when you turn to the article that says, "Jen's a Mom!", and the the next article in the mag is "Angelina's a Saint!", but I've come across these two photos in the past week, and couldn't help but think how much they represent the good girl next door versus the homewrecker who wants to be the next Maleficent, espesh with the wind kicked up around that swirling red Versace.
Bottom line? They BOTH look gorgeous, in completely different ways. It's interesting, both women have perfected the art of simplicity, from hair and accessories to clothing, and both have been accused of not changing it up enough, or wearing enough color, but I say, if it works for them and they can still carry it off, why not?
I am Team Aniston all the way, and I think Jen looks better in this Valentino than she has in a long time. Not that she looks bad in anything else, I just think she looks especially gorge here. I would love it if the skirt were to her knees, but beyond that, she is fab and I'm SURE we would be besties if we were ever to cross paths. Jen, call me.....
Monday, July 26, 2010
September 25 - return of my favorite show EVAH, Dexter. Do NOT watch the above if you are still watching last season. I'm just sayin...
And just for good measure, let's throw in this one too...
But what the EFF, Showtime - Californication isn't back until 2011??!!!!!!
Um, bescuse me, This Free Bird.
You did not just leave a comment on our Giveaway post saying that you chatted up Scott Speedman. All casual and stuff. THAT should be the title of your blog: I Chatted Up Scott Speedman. Jealous?
Consider it. It has a nice ring to it.
Not only is he the dreamiest of the dreamy but he was just on the BEST SHOW THAT EVER EXISTED in the non-reality tv category. Although, I'm sorry, Felicity was very, very real. How else can you explain me crying every single episode? Even reruns. Every time. Every time reruns.
Ben.....sweet, sweet, complicated Ben.
Just browsing through the August Lucky mag last night, and came upon a gorgeous shoot called The Gilded Age, which has made me rededicate my commitment to the sequin. I think our faithful readers know by now that I am mad for a sparkle or sequin, and for the love of Pia Zadora, these looks just reaffirm the reason behind my madness. Can't wait to mix some of these looks from the clothes in my own closet, and add in some ikat, embroidery, boots and scarves for fall.
This. Is. Delicious. Sequin wrap dress worn as a vest? Genius.
Dreamy ocean blues in chiffon and sequin? Shut. Up.
Slouchy military-inspired boyfriend jacket? Check. Sequin shell? Check check. Wide-legged trousers? You complete me.
Sequin cardi + sequin dress = match made in heaven.
Sequin band jacket, gold la-MAY shorts AND vintagey coin necklace? You need to build a bridge and get over yourself.
Don't forget to sign up for our 100 Followers giveaway - deadline is noon today!!!
Sunday, July 25, 2010
You have until noon on Monday, July 26th to enter the 100 Followers Giveaway. Get to it.
Friday, July 23, 2010
Jen: I've always loved being "crafty." Making things. DIY projects. I started playing around with rocks about 5 years ago and something just clicked. I've always loved, loved, loved jewelry ever since I was a wee thing. My Grandma had loads of beautiful jewelry that my sister and I used to dress up with, so it's in my blood. I don't have any formal training, just a ton of books and bead magazines and lots of hours of trial and error.
Jen: I really do have an emotional attachment to a lot of my pieces. : ) Silly but true! My favorites change all the time. If I have to pick ONE favorite, it would probably be a piece named Harper...which I ended up keeping. No soup for you!
Shan: You use a lot of turqwaaaz and coral. Do YOU like how I spell turqwaaaaz? No, for reals, are those your favorite stones to work with?
Jen: I LOVE turqwaaaz. Funny, that's how my daughter says it too! First, because it's just a beautiful stone. And second, because it comes in a lot of variations, depending on where it's mined. Some is bright blue, some more green and some has a lot of brown in it. Coral is the same...pink coral, red coral. You get the idea. I think I also adore turquoise and coral because I love stones with texture. Some of my other favs are freshwater pearls and anything Swarovski. I'm a big fan of the sparkle! A lot of the time I design a piece around a stone or pearl. I love the ones that are especially rustic and lumpy.
Shan: Where/how do you draw inspiration for your designs? Do you collaborate with customers/clients, or are they totally your independent design? Do you lie awake at night thinking up fabulous new designs?
Jen: I get inspiration for designs everywhere! I keep a notebook to jot down ideas and sometimes when I'm looking at catalogs of stones, it will just hit me. (Yes, I said "catalog of stones." Receiving a new catalog of rocks is as exciting for me as the new J. Crew catalog)! A lot of my pieces are things I've created specifically for a customer. I think this is a completely different challenge. There's a certain pressure in creating something special for a specific person and I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my work. Jewelry is such a personal thing and you won't ever wear anything you don't really LOVE.
I DO obsess over designs. And sometimes, it keeps me up half the night! Anyone who does something "creative" for a living, whether it's writing or painting or designing, has a fear of not being able to come up with an idea. That's part of the reason why I started doing a lot of research on fashion. It gets the creative juices flowing.
And, not to repeat myself, but I do use the actual stone at times to inspire what I come up with. Sometimes, I create something that just doesn't work out the way I saw it in my head. But sometimes, it comes out even better!
Shan: Do you ever get "jewelry-maker's block?"
Jen: Definitely! And sometimes, I get stuck in a rut where I design something only to discover that it's very similar to a piece I've done before. That's when the box of wine gets tapped and...voila...the block is broken.
Amy: What did you want to be when you grew up?
Jen: Well, for many years, I wanted to be a journalist when I grew up. Maybe even a tv journalist. But I was worried about writer's block and changed my mind. Then I wanted to be a marine biologist. But seeing as how I live in COLORADO, I decided that might be more difficult then I originally thought. For too many years, I worked in a bank doing credit analysis. I hate math. I hate accounting. I am much better suited doing something that gets my creative juices flowing.
Amy: Do you believe there is life on other planets?
Jen: I'm pretty sure with the universe being as big as it is, we are not alone...........
Amy: One piece of advice for someone getting started?
Jen: Be persistent! The work isn't only in the making and designing but also in getting the word out there. Don't get discouraged! If you put the time and the effort into something you love, it will pay off.
Amy: Red, White or Pink Box Wine?
Jen: Ooooooo, yes please! But preferably a Red box!
Shan: And finally, when will we see the Shannan and Amy added to your line? Or maybe the ShanAmy? Or the MerciBlahBlah? I am on PINS AND NEEDLES waiting!!!!
Jen: I am ALWAYS looking for new names...I kinda used up my entire family and friend base. The MerciBlahBlah...has a nice ring to it!
Shan and Ames
Don't forget to enter the 100 Follower giveaway if you haven't already done so!
- merci blah blah is talking fall... her fall wish list to be exact. I love each and every one of her picks. I can feel the leaves crunching under feet already...
- the hillside home puts together a lovely summer/garden/cottage inspiration montage. It's just dreamy...
- style your life puts together a casual summer look for the guys. Ladies, raise your hand if shopping for your husband falls under your duties. It does in my household!
- spry on the wall puts together her take on Nina Ricci's Resort 2011 collection. This is pure genius!
- john's journal gathers beach chic inspiration from planet blue and then puts together outfits that are much more affordable. Love these!
- a spot of whimsy gives some food for thought for the women that want to do it all (this would be me...). I loved this quiet moment.
- penguin's gift has a great stationary giveaway. Check it out... you have a few days to enter still!
- elena's custom designs offers a great grab-and-go baby shower gift, check this out!
- one hundred inspirations lays out this Olivia Palermo outfit for less than $100. I love this!
- good life for less is participating in the 30/30 Challenge... that is 30 wardrobe pieces mixed and matched for 30 days. See how she does it!
- sweetie pie pumpkin noodle features her top 10 picks for earrings... it's impossible to choose a favorite, they are all so lovely!
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Labels: women's wear daily
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo book, first in the triolgy by Stieg Larsson. If you have not read it, DO IT. One of the best books I've read in ages. If you have read it and you're the winner, well, we'll discuss an appropriate replacement book. Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion - hands down the BEST beauty product I use. You. Will. Become. ADDICTED.
Ames: Shan is right. It's like Eyeball crack cocaine.
Starbucks gift card - do I REALLY need to 'splain this one?
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Lace dress o wonder - from Ish and Chi