I'm sitting here eating my new favorite breakfast (maple and brown sugar oatmeal with mascarpone cheese - um, YUM) and reflecting on life with a smile. I know, I know, it's Monday morning, you say, but this weekend I had a quiet moment to myself while the babies were all in bed, The Hubs was on his weekly jaunt to Home Depot, and it just struck me how blessed I am. I have a beautiful family, great friends, and a home that we love. I feel like the counselor I have been seeing is really helping - making me more aware of things, helping me to remain present in the moment. I know life can change on a dime and kick you in the crotch, but for now, I thought I'd list some of the things I'm thankful for.
1. My family: This weekend I got to spend a lot of time with my girl Scarlett by ourselves, and it was precious. I painted our toenails and fingernails, we colored on the floor together, she hung out with me while I prepared dinner, we got to snuggle, and I heard her COUNT TO NINE all by herself for the first time. I had no idea she could. I know. I've already contacted Mensa. She was very much a mommy's girl this weekend, which is a change because all the kids always want daddy daddy DADDY! Two times during the weekend I raised my voice to her: once because at dinner she was kicking her chair back and tipped it over - (thank God Tom was right next to her and caught it), and it scared me when it happened, so I said something like, "Scarlett! Be careful! Stop kicking that chair back from the table!" and when I did, her bottom lip stuck out and quivered, and her eyes filled immediately with tears, and it broke my heart. Then later, she was pulling on my earring too hard and pulled it out, and I said, "Scarlett - don't pull mommy's earring out!" and the same thing happened again. Both times she let me hold her and soothe her and apologize to her, and I felt terrible. But the thing is - she let me, and she forgave me immediately, and as adults, that is an extremely valuable lesson - especially for me, who tends to hold grudges when I get angry with someone who has hurt me. To forgive without hesitation.
2. Date night! Yep, mom and dad offered to watch the kids and The Hubs and I ACTUALLY WENT TO A MOVIE - The Town. Uhhhh, homina homina Jon Hamm. And I have to say it, homina homina Ben Affleck, who is not my favorite actor, but when he has a great role, he kicks ass.
3. Oatmeal with mascarpone cheese, and peanut butter m&ms, and pumpkin lasagna.
8. Cooler temps - YAY FALL!!!!
9. The scale. I seem to be making baby steps in the right direction. Don't know how, in light of number three above, but my weigh in day is each Monday, and it's down from last week. Yay!